Re: [Celinux-dev] Re: [Announce] Linux-tiny project revival

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 07:43:32 EST

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 15:38 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > And so far no behavior has changed. But now the _fun_ part is, you can add a
> > config symbol for "what is the minimum loglevel I care about?" Set that as a
> > number from 0-9. And then you can define the printk to do:
> >
> > #define printk(level, str, ...) \
> > do { \
> > if (level < CONFIG_PRINTK_DOICARE) \
> > actual_printk("<" #level ">" str, __VA_ARGS__); \
> > } while(0);
> >
> > And viola (however you spell that, I think I'm using the stringed instrument
>
> > But this doesn't _completely_ eliminate
> > printks, so you can still get the panic() calls and such. You tweak precisly
> > how much bloat you want, using the granularity information that's already
> > there in the source code...
> > Opinions?
>
> I'd rather take the opportunity to convert all the printks to
> use pr_<level>. That way, you can pick'n'choose if you want
> arbitrary combinations of KERN_<level> compiled in or not.

Or:

if ((1 << level) & CONFIG_PRINTK_MASK)
actual_printk("<" #level ">" str, __VA_ARGS__);

But it would indeed be nice to have all of pr_<level> (and not only pr_info()
and pr_debug()) anyway.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7  B-1840 Londerzeel  Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem  Swift GEBABEBB08A  IBAN BE39001382358619