Re: [git] CFS-devel, latest code

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 05:41:41 EST

* Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:13:31AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > ok, i'm too seeing some sort of latency weirdness with
> > CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED enabled, _if_ there's Xorg involved which runs
> > under root uid on my box - and hence gets 50% of all CPU time.
> >
> > Srivatsa, any ideas? It could either be an accounting buglet (less
> > likely, seems like the group scheduling bits stick to the 50% splitup
> > nicely), or a preemption buglet. One potential preemption buglet would
> > be for the group scheduler to not properly preempt a running task when a
> > task from another uid is woken?
>
> Yep, I noticed that too.
>
> check_preempt_wakeup()
> {
>
> if (is_same_group(curr, p)) {
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> resched_task();
> }
>
> }
>
> Will try a fix to check for preemption at higher levels ..

i bet fixing this will increase precision of group scheduling as well.
Those long latencies can be thought of as noise as well, and the
fair-scheduling "engine" might not be capable to offset all sources of
noise. So generally, while we allow a certain amount of lag in
preemption decisions (wakeup-granularity, etc.), with which the fairness
engine will cope just fine, we do not want to allow unlimited lag.

Ingo