Re: [RFC] New kernel-message logging API

From: Joe Perches
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 11:19:31 EST

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:22 +0200, Michael Holzheu wrote:
> Together with the idea of not allowing multiple lines in the kprint_xxx
> functions, that would go with our approach having message numbers to
> identify a message.

How does this equate/give message numbers?

> If you do it like that, you can't support "%s", since then you would
> store only the pointer and not the whole string. I think, that we can't
> live without %s.

long long would not work either.

Perhaps it's better to scan the format string or indirect the
printk formatting logic.

Another possibility:

An added pass between gcc preprocessor and compiler could compact
or compress the format string without modifying the conversion
specifications so __attribute__ ((format (printf)) would still work.

printk could expand the compacted/compressed format.