Re: [patch 1/2] VFS: new fgetattr() file operation

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 09:07:27 EST

> > > and if that means adding silly rename support so be it.
> >
> > That's what is done currently.
> >
> > But it's has various dawbacks, like rmdir doesn't work if there are
> > open files within an otherwise empty directory.
> >
> > I'd happily accept suggestions on how to deal with this differenty.
>
> Only sillyrename files with nlink > 1? I don't see how attributes can
> change anything for a deleted file.

I don't quite understand your suggestion.

A file isn't deleted while there are still links or open files
refering to it. So getting the attributes for a file with nlink==0 is
perfectly valid while the file is still open.

If a network filesystem protocol can't handle operations (be it data
or metadata) on an unlinked file, we must do sillirenaming, so that
the file is not actually unlinked.

Miklos