Re: 2.6.22.6: kernel BUG at fs/locks.c:171

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 09:16:23 EST

On Friday 14 September 2007 16:02, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 09:51 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 September 2007 19:20, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I've just seen this in dmesg on a AMD K7 / kernel 2.6.22.6 machine
> > > (config attached).
> > >
> > > Any ideas / which further information needed ?
> >
> > Thanks for the report. Is it reproduceable? It seems like the
> > locks_free_lock call that's oopsing is coming from __posix_lock_file.
> > The actual function looks fine, but the lock being freed could have
> > been corrupted if there was slab corruption, or a hardware corruption.
> >
> > You could: try running memtest86+ overnight. And try the following
> > patch and turn on slab debugging then try to reproduce the problem.
>
> OK so far I've run memtest86+ 1.40 from freedos for 8 hrs (v1.70 hung on
> startup) - nothing.

Thanks.

> Could this corruption be caused by a pci card/driver? I am asking as I
> am using a new dvb-t card (asus p7131) and the oops happened after 5 or
> 6 days of uptime just about a day after watching some movie (very bad
> reception/lots of errors).

It could be caused by that, definitely. slab debugging plus my earlier
patch may help to narrow it down. (or stress testing with / without the
dvb card in action).

> However this machine used to have uptimes of months before the dvb card
> was in there and the kernel version upgrade (don't know which version
> that was...).
>
> Anyway I am not sure if this is reproducible, but I will keep memtest
> running today and then proceed as you said...

OK. Don't put too much effort into memtest if it hasn't caught anything
by now -- it's really only exercising your CPU and memory, so even if it
is your video hardware, it probably won't find the problem.