Re: [linux-usb-devel] spontaneous disconnect with "usb-storage:implement autosuspend"

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 05:39:47 EST

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:33:48PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>>
>> There are many regressions right now, _ONLY_ if you enable
>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If you disable that, your problems will go away,
>> right?
> ..
>> Oh, and currently no distro will enable this option due to the hardware
>> problems, so the only people that could get hit by this are those who
>> build their own kernels, and they can easily disable the option.
>
> Ubuntu has CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y

They also have a patch that disables suspend automatically for all
devices except USB hubs. Same goes for Red Hat's rawhide kernel.

> There are probably lots of other distros that use it as well.

Not without the above mentioned patch they do not :)

> This new behaviour (failed operation of USB flash keys) is a *new*
> regression
> in 2.6.23, and we still have time to fix it by either reverting the changed
> functionality, or by changing the code to default OFF.

I now agree.

> Here's my patch for 2.6.23-rc6+ :
>
> Fix USB Storage failures.
>
> Signed-Off-By: Mark Lord <mlord@xxxxxxxxx>

That's way too simple, I want to revert the whole usb-storage suspend
logic as Oliver has found some core problems with it working properly,
even with devices that have no problems.

Is that ok for you?

thanks,

greg k-h