Re: x86 merge - a little feedback

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 17:52:26 EST

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Will that cause people to compile test both? I have my doubts that
> will really work.

If people don't compile-test both now, then why would they compile-test
things when merged?

So no, that's not the point.

But at least things like "grep" will work sanely, and people will be
*aware* that "Oh, this touches a file that may be used by the other
word-size".

Right now, we have people changing "i386-only" files that turn out to be
used by x86-64 too - through very subtle Makefile things that the person
who only looks into the i386 Makefile will never even *see*.

THAT is the problem (well, at least part of it).

Linus