Re: Intel Memory Ordering White Paper

From: dean gaudet
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 07:34:30 EST

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> I've also heard that string operations do not follow the normal ordering, but
> that's just with respect to individual loads/stores in the one operation, I
> hope? And they will still follow ordering rules WRT surrounding loads and
> stores?

see section 7.2.3 of intel volume 3A...

"Code dependent upon sequential store ordering should not use the string
operations for the entire data structure to be stored. Data and semaphores
should be separated. Order dependent code should use a discrete semaphore
uniquely stored to after any string operations to allow correctly ordered
data to be seen by all processors."

i think we need sfence after things like copy_page, clear_page, and
possibly copy_user... at least on intel processors with fast strings
option enabled.

-dean