Oops in pwc v4l driver

From: Alex Smith
Date: Sun Sep 02 2007 - 07:57:27 EST

Hi,

I found an old Philips Askey VC010 webcam and attempted to get it
working on Linux (latest git, x86_64). It worked fine, I could view
the camera in mplayer. But, however, when I went to move the camera, I
unplugged it and forgot to close mplayer. I didn't notice, moved it,
plugged it back in and immediately Mplayer died and dropped a genaral
protection fault oops + stacktrace in the kernel log. I unplugged the
camera again, and the entire system froze, most likely a kernel panic.
I've reproduced this twice, however I haven't been able to get it to
occur when using mplayer from the command line (so that I can see what
happens when it freezes). I've uploaded the 2 dmesg logs here:

http://www.alex-smith.me.uk/files/dmesg.log
http://www.alex-smith.me.uk/files/dmesg2.log

and also my .config here:

http://www.alex-smith.me.uk/files/config-2.6.23-rc5.txt

The mplayer command I used:

mplayer -cache 128 -tv
driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:outfmt=i420:device=/dev/video1 -vc
rawi420 -vo xv tv://

Thanks,
Alex
--