NFS4 authentification / fsuid

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 10:12:56 EST

Hi,

with NFS3, there is this 'root hole', i.e. any person who has a root
account (perhaps by use of a laptop) can mount an export (let's say this
export had the "root_squash" option), and still have a look at the user
files, because he can locally setuid() into another user.

So I was looking for alternatives. CIFS is my favorite candidate, but it
has a few issues right now. So does sshfs and about everything I have
come across. Since I remember NFS4 can use KRB5 authentification, my
question is, will the NFS(4) server process run with an fsuid equal to
the user that authenticated?

thanks,
Jan