Re: Regression in 2.6.23-rc2-mm2, mounting cpusets causes a hang

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 14:34:31 EST

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:00:29 -0400
Lee Schermerhorn <Lee.Schermerhorn@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 12:12 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Paul Jackson (pj@xxxxxxx):
> > >
> > > Good point -- what do you think, Paul Menage?
> >
> > Paul mentioned (http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-containers/msg03775.html)
> > that he was asked not to use select in Kconfigs any more.
>
> That is unfortunate. I view CPUSET is a "first class" option that
> happens to be built on CONTAINERS. IMO, I shouldn't have to know this
> implementation detail in order to select CPUSET--indeed, even to be
> offered the optio--in 'make *config'. However, it will be hidden if I
> haven't already selected containers. Or do I misunderstand the
> implications of "depends on"?
>
> Andrew: is the problem with select something fatal or just too
> difficult to fix?

I don't recall what specifically went wrong when we were using select
in there, but it was pretty ugly.

We're hitting more and more problems with this "select is
broken"-versus-"depends-on user inferface sucks" problem. I do think that
a suitable fix could be found at the user interface level: show the
"cpusets" option to the user, but don't let them select it. Instead, tell
the user what needs to be enabled so they can access this option.

But I haven't seen the slightest sign of anyone thinking about doing
anything along those lines.