Re: Thinking outside the box on file systems

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 13:54:31 EST

--- Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kyle Moffett wrote:
> > Going even further in this direction, the
> following POSIX ACL on the
> > directories will do what you want:
> >
> > ## Note: file owner and group are kmoffett
> > u::rw-
> > g::rw-
> > u:lsorens:rw-
> > u:mtharp:rw-
> > u:mperkel:rw-
> > g:randomcvsdudes:r-
> > default:u::rw-
> > default:g::rw-
> > default:u:lsorens
> > default:u:mtharp:rw-
> > default:u:mperkel:rw-
> > default:g:randomcvsdudes:r-
>

> The problem that I have with this setup is that it
> specifies an ACL on
> EACH file. Yes, you can set a default on the
> directory for newly
> created files, but what if I want to add a user to
> the access list for
> that whole directory? I have to individually update
> every acl on every
> file in that directory. Also if you move a file
> created elsewhere into
> that directory, it retains its existing permissions
> doesn't it? I would
> rather just add a new ace to the directory itself
> which specifies that
> it applies to the entire tree. Then you only need
> to store a single acl
> on disk, and only have to update one acl to add a
> new user.

In the model I'm suggesting files and directories no
longer have permissions so ACLs go away. Only users,
groups, managers, applications, and other objects have
permissions.

So if you move a file into the tree then everything
that has permission to that tree has rights to the
file.

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com
http://www.junkemailfilter.com