Re: [RFC 4/9] Atomic reclaim: Save irq flags in vmscan.c

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 17:49:15 EST

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > So every spinlock would have an array of chars sized to NR_CPUS and set
> > the flag when the lock is taken?
>
> I was more thinking of a single per cpu flag for all of page reclaim
> That keeps it also cache local.

We already have such a flag in the zone structure

/* A count of how many reclaimers are scanning this zone */
atomic_t reclaim_in_progress;

The problem is that the LRU lock etc is also taken outside of reclaim. In
order for the flag to work we would have to set it everywhere the lru lock
etcis taken.