Re: EHCI Regression in 2.6.23-rc2

From: David Brownell
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 11:49:57 EST

> Hm... I've got a 0.95. I'll try to get a Via EHCI 1.00 controller and
> make sure it's the same problem.

Yeah, for some reason way too many of the add-on PCI cards with
VIA chips use that pretty-broken VT6202 chip. Ones with VT6212
are also available, and work a lot better.

> > Regarding the option to blacklist VIA in the module:
> > I would prefer blacklisting VIA by default but giving the module some
> > parameter like "honours inactive bit" to override this.
> >
> > Perhaps there are newer VIA Chips out there, that indeed do this and
> > some users trigger happy enough to test this. :)
>
> That kernel parameter sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Yes, IFF we know that the bug shows up in EHCI 1.00 chips rather than
just the already-known-to-be-buggy VT6202 chips. (I think part of the
deal was that until the parts went through some conformance testing,
nobody could use the "1.0" label. There were also a few small feature
updates and spec clarifications. If anyone else shipped silicon in
volume that was as buggy as a VT6202, I didn't see any.)

I'd be happy to see a warning come out whenever a VT6202 is found,
since its problems are NOT limited to this I-bit bug.

> The problem
> that the patch is trying to work around is that, while the CPUs are
> changing frequency, the EHCI controller gets delayed trying to read main
> memory (because CPU cache snoops have to wait until the CPU is
> finished)... if this happens in the middle of a split transaction to a
> low/full speed device, the transaction won't complete in time, and you
> get an error and possible data loss.
>
> If the EHCI controller caches ahead enough, it shouldn't need to read
> main memory to be able to complete the split transaction... but, while
> the controller does say how much ahead it may cache, it isn't clear to
> me that it will always be able to cache that much, so I thought it would
> be safe to go ahead and inactivate split transactions during CPU
> frequency transitions regardless.

Right.