Re: [patch 0/4] Updated AN patches, now without gendisk

From: Kristen Carlson Accardi
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 12:57:43 EST

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:00:53 +0200
"Kay Sievers" <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/8/07, Kristen Carlson Accardi <kristen.c.accardi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Here is an updated set of patches that implement Asynchronous Notification
> > support for ATAPI devices. In this version I no longer export the AN
> > capability through genhd, and the uevent is sent by the scsi_device
> > instead of gendisk. I added a generic SCSI device event mechanism so
> > that it can be expanded in the future with other types of events. Please
> > let me know what you think.
>
> Does that mean:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=8ce7ad7b2d11fae2c3d285a6a0caea9322c0b8fc
>
> will go away?

Yes - this method was rejected by James, so I had to change away from
using the genhd to transmit events.

> Then we will need to come up with an idea to propagate that to the
> blockdev, it gets a bit nasty for userspace to find out which
> blockdevice it should update. It's certainly possible, but just not as
> easy as it is now, because userspace just doesn't really care in most
> cases what kind of bus device a block device is coming from.

Is it possible to use the linkage that is in the scsi_device directory
of the disk that is sending the event to find the relevant block devices?
For example, /sys/class/scsi_device/0:0:0:0/device/block:sda
on my system tells me which block devices belong to this device.