Kernel 2.6.23-rc2 git4 & git5

From: Chris Holvenstot
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 17:40:48 EST

This morning I reported an issue which cause a failure of the
2.6.23-rc2-git4 kernel to boot on my system. The contents of my post
may be viewed here:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0708.1/1959.html

After 3 separate builds from "virgin sources" I still had the boot
failure with the git4 level kernel.

This afternoon I picked up the git5 patch and it comes up and appears to
run without problem.

Same base system. Same hardware. Same build process.

So even though I have only been building and running "pre-release"
kernels for a short time I feel confident in saying that something was
not kosher with the git4 patch - at least when it came to my system.

(system configuration data is in the original post)

I would not normally burn the valuable time of others with a rhetorical
post but I looked at the changes out into the git5 patch and did not
spot anything that looked like it would have resolved the issue I was
having and I hate not being able to correlate a cause and effect here.

Any clues, or did I just get lucky with this one?