Re: splice question

From: David Härdeman
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 16:56:55 EST

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 12:41:54PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, David H?rdeman wrote:
Otherwise I guess I'd have to add a second pipe, then (in a loop)
tee() from the first to the second pipe and then splice from the second pipe
to a socket. Doesn't sound very elegant and would need quite a lot of extra
syscalls.

You really should think of this as a memcpy(), and you'll be in the right mindframe. The system calls themselves are cheap.

Ok, I've implemented it using two pipes, and it works. But it does seem a bit wasteful...in case one client is not keeping up, the data will have to be tee():ed first from pipe1 to pipe2, only to then find out that the splice() from pipe2 to socket only does a partial transfer after which the data in pipe2 has to be thrown away and then the loop starts over with the next client.

A tee() from pipe1 to the socket could (I imagine) realize immediately that the socket does not have enough buffer space and return EWOULDBLOCK and avoid at least one copy?

--
David Härdeman