Re: Improving read/write/close system call reliability when used with pthreads

From: Fredrik Noring
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 15:20:46 EST

Alan,

Alan Cox wrote:
Given that 99.99% of programs don't appear to care and you materially
slow down a critical path for every read and write I'm skeptical.

I've made required_fds a struct list_head list to accommodate for multiple fd:s (not sure that's absolutely needed though), so a couple of pointers need to be updated in sys_read/write. However, if that's too slow, and we only care about bookkeeping a single fd which is the case with sys_read/write, that can be changed into a single fd integer assignment.

Would that be fast enough?

Fredrik