Re: [ANNOUNCE] SDIO soon in mainline

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 11:15:53 EST

Hi,

> I am happy to announce that SDIO support will soon be a standard
> feature in Linux. No more proprietary stacks with all the troubles
> (legal and technical) that go with them.
>
> The new code is written from scratch by yours truly and Nicolas Pitre.
> There were several stacks out there that were recently made available
> under the GPL, but none of them were in any shape to be merged into the
> kernel.
>
> Current status is that basic functionality is in place. There is a
> driver model (with device matching and module auto-loading) and
> functions for easy register access. It is also possible to receive
> interrupts from the card.
>
> There is only one driver in the tree right now (for the standard GPS
> interface), but it should be complete enough for everyone to see how
> the API works.

and as of a few days ago we have a second driver that can handle
Bluetooth Type-A and Type-B SDIO cards. It has been tested with a card
from Socket which is actually manufactured by Toshiba.

hci0: Type: SDIO
BD Address: 00:02:C7:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 676:4 SCO MTU: 120:3
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x0 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x14b
Manufacturer: Toshiba Corp. (4)
Features: 0xff 0xf9 0x21 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
<park state> <SCO link> <HV2 packets> <HV3 packets>
<u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD>

The code for the btsdio.ko driver can be found here:

http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/holtmann/btsdio.git;a=summary

There are other Bluetooth SDIO cards that don't follow the Type-A or
Type-B standard. These use the UART standard, but unfortunately the
specification for the SDIO UART cards is not public.

Regards

Marcel