Re: encrypted hibernation (was Re: Hibernation considerations)

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 19:45:27 EST

* Pavel Machek (pavel@xxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Encryption is possible with both the userland hibernation (aka uswsusp) and
> > > TuxOnIce (formerly known as suspend2). Still, I don't consider it as a "must
> > > have" feature for a framework to be generally useful (many users don't use it
> > > anyway).
> >
> > If a user uses an encrypted filesystem, then he also needs an encrypted
> > swap and encrypted hibernation image: Otherwise the fileystem encryption
> > is not very useful.
>
> Actually, we can do most of that stuff already.
>
> We can encrypt filesystems, encrypt swaps (LVM), and encrypt hibernation.

But can you do what my original question was; find a way to lose a luks
encrypted device key and cleanly unmount the filesystem that was
using it? (and preferably put it all back together after resume).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /