sb-400 audigy prob

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 12:59:37 EST

Greetings;

Running 23-rc2 since it came out, I've just discovered I have only the system
beep for sound. From lspci:
01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 1001
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

But I have a line in my rc.local that reloads the sound fonts:
[root@coyote rulesdujour]# sfxload /usr/music/SoundFonts/CT4MGM.SF2
No AWE synth device is found

This occurred once before and a reboot fixed it, so I'm going to try it again.
BRB

About 4 reboots later, it finally works again, after it had hung in udev, and
apparently did an auto reboot while I was looking for my flashlight. I had
selected in that case to boot to 2.6.22-rt9 since 2.6.23-rc1 didn't work
either and udev had hung after spitting out that useless screenfull of
missing attributes messages like it always does, (when do we get rid of
that?) and it had been hung in udev for about 3 minutes before I got up and
left to find my flashlight. On arrival with light in hand, I found the same
screenfull of udev messages and assumed it was still hung, but as I was
crawling under the desk I heard the speakers thump like they do when udev
finds the device, and the boot continued. I didn't realize it had
spontainiously rebooted till I saw the login message said 2.6.23-rc2, the
grub default.

Hints gratefully checked out here folks.

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)