Re: Documentation files in html format?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 02:36:12 EST

Rene Herman wrote:
> On 08/10/2007 10:12 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
>>> What primary requirements does in-tree Linux kernel documentation have
>>> to fulfill in general?
>>
>> Skipping the obvious ones such as correct, up-to-date etc.
>> o Readable as-is
>> o Grepable
>> o buildable as structured documents or almost like a single book
>> o Easy to replicate structure
>> o Maintainable in any decent text-editor (emacs, vim, whatever)

Low entry barrier for patches from unsuspecting occasional contributors?

> Easy to put online?

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=Documentation
http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/
http://users.sosdg.org/~qiyong/lxr/source/Documentation/
http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/source/Documentation/
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/

(I admit though that formats like asciidoc or docbook are beneficial for
larger documentation files which want chapters, table of contents, and
internal crossreferences.)
--
Stefan Richter