Re: Documentation files in html format?

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 16:40:41 EST

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 10:17:04PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> I've read pro-plain text arguments, so I'll not repeat them. I also see
> another advantage to plain text : it's very easy to draw ascii-art
> diagrams of anything. It only takes a few minutes, is always inline
> and readable with any tool.

Asciidoc should preserve ascii-art diagrams OK; the git docs use them
all over.

Not that I'd necessarily push asciidoc. But:

> I'd prefer that you define some writing conventions for plain-text
> documents that anyone should try follow, starting with the 80-cols
> limit to make Davem happy. I think that many of us can help define
> such a "standard" indicating how to underline subtitles, how to
> enumerate a list, how to avoid using tabs, how to write boxes and
> arrows in their diagrams, etc...

... at the point where you actually start setting standards for subtitle
underlining and list enumeration, you'd want to take another look at
asciidoc; since it already defines conventions for that stuff (which
are probably close to what people would do anyway), it might make sense
just to start using asciidoc.

--b.