Re: Documentation files in html format?

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 06:50:11 EST

On Aug 9 2007 11:31, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>Since the network device documentation needs a rewrite, I was thinking
>of using basic html format instead of just plain text. But since this would
>be starting an new precedent for kernel documentation, some it seemed
>like a worthwhile topic for discussion.
>
>Advantages of html:
> * basic formatting like lists, italics, etc
> * easier to integrate into other places and retain formatting
> * ability to link documents and to external sources easier
>
>Downsides:
> * can become too formatted and unclear

Perhaps maybe <p class="block"> with .block{text-align:justify;}
because that looks nice in general.

> * accessibility and translation issues?

Accessibility, well, just run w3m instead of less, and you've got it.
Or `w3m -dump xxx.html | less` if you really need it paged.

Translation, no I do not think that is a big issue. But people should
perhaps be kept on the utf-8 toe since html can specify the encoding.

> * even more style issues

- two lines between block elements, e.g.

There is not much to it I think. Use of WYSIWYG editors should be prohibited,
since some reformat the code in terms of line length, "aol-ize" it
(<ol> to <OL>) or replace tags by some synonym.

Jan