Re: PATCH/RFC: [kdump] fix APIC shutdown sequence

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 14:01:50 EST

Martin Wilck <martin.wilck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> Ok. Later in the thread it sounds like you have retried this and
>> irqpoll is working now.
>
> Yes. I'd give a lot to know what went wrong when I tried that in April.
> It'd have saved me many hours of work if I had discovered this workaround
> before.

Yes that is odd.

>>> I have tried to recover from the "IRR set" situation in several ways by
>>> changing setup_IO_APIC_irq(). But I haven't found a way to recover from
>>> this situation once disable_IO_APIC() had been called.
>>
>> Yes. The long term goal is to remove the need for calling
>> disable_IO_APIC(). Because that makes the code simpler etc.
>
> I think a lot would be gained if disable_IO_APIC() would just mask the IRQs
> (like the function in my patch does), and perhaps fix the dest ID, instead of
> totally clearing the registers.

Even masked we still won't see the EOI, because then we are in i8259
mode. So masked versus totally cleared really should make no
difference.

> Moreover, it'd be reasonable to separate out the code that restores virtual
> wire mode from disable_IO_APIC().

Possibly. If we were to change the order probably.

>> It is quite possible. I have observed a lot of obscure bugs in the
>> corner cases of the state machines, although it is possible
>> this is correct behavior and it is just specific to level
>> triggered interrupts which are almost exclusively not on
>> the first ioapic in a system like you describe.
>
> Even if my patch in the form in which I submitted it is unusable,
> I think the basic idea that IRQs should be masked bottom-up
> (IO-APIC first, then local APIC, then CPU) is correct.
>
> Or is there any specific reason why the current code does it vice-versa?

I haven't looked. My guess is that in the normal case it doesn't matter
because no irqs are alive and the kexec on panic case just copied that.

I guess right now I can see work put into cleaning things up a little
or not having to call disable_IO_APIC() at all. that was supposed
to be a short term hack, until we fixed things properly.

So far no one has been brave enough to mess with the kernel apic
initialization order so we can remove disable_IO_APIC. If our
goal isn't to fix things properly by removing the need for
disable_IO_APIC I don't feel like putting much effort into this
code path.

Eric