Re: Data corruption

From: paul
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 11:41:37 EST

Le mercredi 8 août 2007 16:44, Wander Winkelhorst a écrit :
> On 8/8/07, paul <paul.pinault@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi, thank you for your answer, actually I removed 2Gb of physical memory
> > and
> > the problem gone away .. but my system needs 4Gb.
> >
> > I reproduce it under Xen and without xen (on a standard kernel) I can't
> > tell
> > you how mutch difference I have betwwen files, regarding a 4 month system
> > running on these condition, I think the number of errors are rare but
> > existing, during my tests with 100M files I did not get a lot of error,
> > so we
> > can assume 2 or 3 bytes in error in 300M files... (expectation)
> >
> > I try to avaoid it by disabeling memory relocation on my MB ... in that
> > case
> > the system only detect 2.8G (and Linux too), The probem still there.
>
> Do you have the latest BIOS of your motherboard?
> The latest version is 0901 and that version fixes:
>
> "Fix memory remapping function is not working properly issue."
>
> Download from:
> http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?product=1&model=P5B-VM&;
>SLanguage=en-us
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Wander.

Yes I had... I expected a solution here ... but not !

Just changed my mother board for a P5N-E... it works correctly with 4GB but I
had also to change 2 DDR2 not recognized by this new system ... My opinion
memory is not the root cause as long memory test did not detect errors on the
initial system...

Problem is closed for me as I changed my hardware .. but if someone could
confirm the issue on an other and same system ... it would be interresting as
this problem apeared for me when I add +2GB on my system, causing some lost
of data on my server and numerous crashed ... I mean the impact on data could
be hudge.