Re: Disk spin down issue on shut down/suspend to disk

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 10:09:28 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Michael Sedkowski wrote:
Dnia 07-08-2007, Wt o godzinie 03:43 +0900, Tejun Heo napisał(a):
Does emergency unload count increase
after each power down?
I think I got it.
Using smartctl I've done a test and shut down, then repeted the test.
The only values that where diffrent are temperatures and
Hardware_ECC_Recovered which rised by 6 points.
However I have no idea which of those is the "emergency count"...
Full results in attachment.

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 388

I think this is the one. You can test it by forcefully powering off the
machine (press power button for several secs or disconnect AC and
battery) and see whether the count increases.

FWIW, Tejun, with 2.6.22, my new Seagate 160GB SATA drive (notebook)
increments the "Power-Off_Retract_Count" on each suspend-to-RAM operation.
It does not do any double spin-up/spin-down things though.

What a mess.

-ml