Re: allow non root users to set io priority "idle" ?

From: Sheplyakov Alexei
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 06:04:54 EST

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 01:11:01PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Very low priority can starve others when it holds some kernel resource
> needed by another task.

Nevertheless ordinary users are permitted to lower priority ([re]nice)
and resource limits (setrlimit).

> For IO I suppose the same could happen too. e.g. low priority
> task wants to write out a page and keeps it locked until the IO
> is finished. High priority task wants to access the page and has
> to wait until it is unlocked. Middle task generates an endless
> stream of IO that makes the idle priority writeout never finish.

I don't quite understand. There are a lot of other ways to starve such
high-priority process:
1. renice the low-priority process
2. send it a signal
3. ptrace it
4. use something like cpulimit (http://cpulimit.sourceforge.net/) to stall it

So I think current behaviour of ionice is inconsistent (and pointless).

P.S.
Please CC me, I'm not subscribed.

Best regards,
Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.