Re: Disk spin down issue on shut down/suspend to disk

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 00:06:42 EST

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007, Robert Hancock wrote:
>> You *do* have to worry about it in any box you turn off daily. Desktop
>> HDs will croak fast in that scenario, laptop HDs less so, but still too
>> fast. A very good laptop HD can last about 20k emergency unloads (this
>> is a unit that can do about 600k normal unloads in its lifetime).
>> Desktop and server HDs don't even come close to those numbers, last time
>> I checked.
>
> It only matters on hard drives which actually use load-unload heads. Lots
> of desktop/server drives (perhaps some laptop ones as well) still use
> contact start/stop, which doesn't remove the heads from the platters on

I am not so sure about that.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but contact stop in an emergency retract
shakes the head assembly badly as well. It subjects the head assembly to
higher acceleration than a normal seek, and a nasty impulse at impact with
the stopper. And I very much doubt it is nice to the heads to slide into
the parking zone at high speed and hit the bumper while over it.

Unless I missed something, I don't why an emergency retract would not be as
big a problem as an emergency unload.

Maybe we should hunt down some proper datasheets for drives lacking head
load/unload technology, and check what they say about emergency unloads...

Henrique Holschuh