Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v19

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 17:20:33 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I've taken mainline git tree (freshly integrated CFS!) out for a multimedia spin. I tested watching movies and listenign to music in the presence of various sleep/burn loads, pure burn loads, and mixed loads. All was peachy here.. I saw no frame drops or sound skips or other artifacts under any load where the processor could possibly meet demand.
I would agree with preliminary testing, save that if you get a lot of processes updating the screen at once, there seems to be a notable case of processes getting no CPU for 100-300ms, followed by a lot of CPU.

I see this clearly with the "glitch1" test with four scrolling xterms and glxgears, but also watching videos with little busy processes on the screen. The only version where I never see this in test or with real use is cfs-v13.

just as a test, does this go away if you:

renice -20 pidof `Xorg`

i.e. is this connected to the way X is scheduled?

Doing this slows down the display rates, but doesn't significantly help the smoothness of the gears.

Another thing to check would be whether it goes away if you set the granularity to some really finegrained value:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns
echo 500000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns

this really pushes things - but it tests the theory whether this is related to granularity.

I didn't test this with standard Xorg priority, I should go back and try that. But it didn't really make much difference. The gears and scrolling xterms ran slower with Xorg at -20 with any sched settings. I'll do that as soon as a build finishes and I can reboot.

I should really go back to 2.6.21.6, 2.6.22 has many bizarre behaviors with FC6. Automount starts taking 30% of CPU (unused at the moment), the sensors applet doesn't work, etc. I hope over the weekend I can get bug reports out on all this, but there are lots of non-critical oddities.
Ingo

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>