Re: [GIT PULL] KVM Updates for 2.6.23-rc1

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 01:35:48 EST

Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> On 07/11/2007 03:08 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> Linus, please do your usual thing from the repository and branch at
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/avi/kvm.git for-linus
>>
>> This contains kvm updates for the 2.6.23 merge window, including
>>
>> - performance improvements
>> - suspend/resume fixes
>> - guest smp
>> - random fixes and cleanups
>>

> What version of KVM does this update contain? I can't find any place
> in the code with version number.

There is an ABI version number (now at 12) in include/linux/kvm.h. That
means any version of kvm userspace from kvm-22 upwards can be used.
Since the ABI will not change anymore except in a backward compatible
manner, the old concerns of matching userspace to kernel are gone.

In terms of parity with the external kernel module, 2.6.23-rc1 will be
very similar to kvm-29.