Re: Linux 2.6.22 released

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 18:43:35 EST

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 03:37:41PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > I just checked with today's gcc 4.2 (070711) freshly compiled and from a quick inspection
> > the code looks correct again. So perhaps it has been already fixed?
>
> Did you see the breakage with the original compiler? It might be some

No, i don't have a debian compiler and i normally use gcc 4.1 on my
workstation.

BTW I just heard that at least one package in suse STABLE (using a slightly
older gcc 4.2 snapshot) apprently with inline assembly got miscompiled too

> config setup or something.
>
> But yeah, if Debian/sid is just using random compiler snapshots of the
> day, I htink we can just bury this as "pointless".
>
> Who the heck takes a compiler snapshot and runs with it? At least when
> your kernel breaks, it seldom breaks subtly (but I would expect that most
> distros would not pick random nightly kernel builds). When your compiler
> breaks, you have random problems in totally unexpected places, the last
> thing you want to have is a random nightly snapshot in a distro - even a
> development one.

I guess it's because gcc 4.2 is technically supposed to be a -stable tree.

Also recompiling whole distros tends to find a lot of compiler bugs so
I guess it's useful QA for them.

-Andi