Re: Liunx power consumption on laptops -- Enormous progress in thelast few months

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 17:47:01 EST

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 05:42:14PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> > > just click on it in the graph ;_
> > >
> > > it's also http://www.linuxpowertop.org/patches/ondemand-fix.patch
> > > (which is submitted already to the maintainers)
> >
> > Should be in cpufreq.git (and thus, -mm) too, waiting for .23 to open up.
>
> Somebody should fix http://ww.linuxpowertop.org/known.php then, it says:
>
> "The kernels ondemand CPU frequency management function currently has a
> high-frequency timer that samples to see if the CPU is idle. Intel fixed this
> and the patches to the kernel to effectively remove this timer are included in
> Linus' tree as of 2.6.22-rc1."
>
> which confused me no end when I was looking at this stuff and wondering why
> it was in the -mm tree if Linus already picked it up. :)

There were two sets of fixes to ondemand. The first round did in fact
go into .22rc1 The others I deemed too late in the cycle to go into .22
(Though they have been flawless, so if there was enough demand (ha!) we could
even push them to -stable once they're in mainline).

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk