Re: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re:[linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed in zc0301_core.c

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 19:12:24 EST

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Satyam Sharma wrote:

> 1. Kconfig symbols will always have code associated with them.
> That's the entire purpose of Kconfig, is it not?

A possible counter example: CONFIG_SCSI.
(RAID_ATTRS is currently a little misplaced).
It's optional for any config symbol to have any code attached to it,
menuconfig doesn't change anything.

> 2. "menuconfig" symbols, otoh, were _invented_ for another reason
> entirely: presentation and user interface i.e. so that users are able
> to disable entire menus (and all the options contained therein)
> without having to enter into the menu first, and without having to
> disable all options individually (which was the situation that existed
> before the introduction of these menuconfig objects).

Since I'm the one who _invented_ it, I can tell you you're wrong. :)
This functionality isn't limited to menuconfig symbols. The menu option
simply changes how the child symbols can be displayed.

bye, Roman