Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v18

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 19:08:44 EST

On Friday 22 June 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>i'm pleased to announce release -v18 of the CFS scheduler patchset.
>
>The rolled-up CFS patch against today's -git kernel, v2.6.22-rc5,
>v2.6.22-rc4-mm2, v2.6.21.5 or v2.6.20.14 can be downloaded from the
>usual place:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/
>
>The biggest change in -v18 are various performance related improvements.
>Thomas Gleixner has eliminated expensive 64-bit divisions by converting
>the arithmetics to scaled math (without impacting the quality of
>calculations). Srivatsa Vaddagiri and Dmitry Adamushko have continued
>the abstraction and cleanup work. Srivatsa Vaddagiri and Christoph
>Lameter fixed the NUMA balancing bug reported by Paul McKenney. There
>were also a good number of other refinements to the CFS code. (No
>reproducible behavioral regressions were reported against -v17 so far,
>so the 'behavioral' bits are mostly unchanged.)
>
>Changes since -v17:
>
> - implement scaled math speedups for CFS. (Thomas Gleixner)
>
> - lots of core code updates, cleanups and streamlining.
> (Srivatsa Vaddagiri, Dmitry Adamushko, me.)
>
> - bugfix: fix NUMA balancing. (Srivatsa Vaddagiri, Christoph Lameter,
> Paul E. McKenney)
>
> - feature: SCHED_IDLE now also implies block-scheduler (CFQ)
> idle-IO-priority. (suggested by Thomas Sattler, picked up from -ck)
>
> - build fix for ppc32. (reported, tested and confirmed fixed by
> Art Haas)
>
> - ARM fix. (reported and debugged by Thomas Gleixner)
>
> - cleanup: implemented idle_sched_class in kernel/sched_idletask.c as a
> way to separate out rq->idle handling out of the core scheduler. This
> made a good deal of idle-task related special-cases go away.
>
> - debug: make the sysctls safer by introducing high and low limits.
>
> - cleanup: move some of the debug counters to under CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS.
>
> - speedup: various micro-optimizations
>
> - various other small updates.
>
>As usual, any sort of feedback, bugreport, fix and suggestion is more
>than welcome!

Humm, problem methinks. Applying the patch, with 2.6.22-rc5 applied to 2.6.21
completed, from my script:

now applying patch sched-cfs-v2.6.22-rc5-v18.patch

patching file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
patching file Documentation/sched-design-CFS.txt
patching file Makefile
patching file arch/i386/kernel/smpboot.c
patching file arch/i386/kernel/tsc.c
patching file arch/ia64/kernel/setup.c
patching file arch/mips/kernel/smp.c
patching file arch/sparc/kernel/smp.c
patching file arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c
patching file block/cfq-iosched.c
patching file fs/proc/array.c
patching file fs/proc/base.c
patching file include/asm-generic/bitops/sched.h
patching file include/linux/hardirq.h
patching file include/linux/sched.h
patching file include/linux/topology.h
patching file init/main.c
patching file kernel/delayacct.c
patching file kernel/exit.c
patching file kernel/fork.c
patching file kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c
patching file kernel/sched.c
patching file kernel/sched_debug.c
patching file kernel/sched_fair.c
patching file kernel/sched_idletask.c
patching file kernel/sched_rt.c
patching file kernel/sched_stats.h
patching file kernel/softirq.c
patching file kernel/sysctl.c
The next patch would delete the file l/kernel/sched.c,
which does not exist! Assume -R? [n]

How to proceed?

--
Cheers, Gene