Re: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re:[linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed in zc0301_core.c

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 12:24:20 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> V4L_USB_DRIVERS=y turns USB into =y? That can't be. It should give the "this
> depends on another symbol [USB] that is modular".

That's not how it works, the enclosed symbols depend now on
V4L_USB_DRIVERS, which is a boolean and it can only have two states.
It doesn't matter on what V4L_USB_DRIVERS depends only the final value
matters.
(BTW if check the dependency debug output in menuconfig/xconfig, you'll
see which values are relevant in the calculation of a symbol value.)

> >I'm also a little irritated by the "default y", if I enable V4L I'm very
> >tempted to check what other useless stuff has been automatically enabled,
> >which I have to turn off again.
>
> The default y only applies to the "menu" folders, not actual code.

I don't know that without checking the Makefile.

> There have been discussions to remove the default-ys again, I've sent a patch
> [http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/12/216], but nothing happened.
>
> So, should all affected menuconfigs be transformed into tristates, what
> do you think, Roman? Let me know so I can cook up a patch (hopefully
> before 2.6.22) should they become tristate.

Using bool is clearly a bug and I'd prefer if it removed the defaults as
well.

bye, Roman