From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 01:42:26 EST

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 07:28:22PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Well, it is not Tivo alone -- look at http://aminocom.com/ for an
> example. If you want the kernel sources pay USD 50k and we will provide
> the kernel sources, was their attitude.

Hmm, set top boxes are often rented from the cable company rather than
sold. Stupid grey area for sure. At least tivo does give you the
sources, without demanding more money. Rather big difference.

> Well, it is not Tivo alone, a large chunk of the vendors do that. The
> vendors who actually do it the clean way are just few and can be counted
> very easily.

Well at least where I work we don't try to lock down the hardware, we do
contribute our changes and bug fixes to upstream when it makes sense
(and where our changes wouldn't make sense for upstream, they are still
clearly included with the sources we have.) If a customer wants a copy
of the sources, they will get a nice DVD, although strangely none have
asked for one yet.

--
Len Sorensen