Re: [1/2] 2.6.22-rc5: known regressions with patches

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 19:06:36 EST

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> There's just no *point*.

Put another way: we lived without DEBUG_RODATA for fifteen years, why
should we now start adding complexity to work around code that doesn't
accept the (fairly small) debugging it gives?

Has anybody actually found a bug using it?

As far as I know, the biggest reason to use DEBUG_RODATA is

(a) Hey, it's a cheap way to check one thing

(b) An added layer of security (which it's not that great for, but it
might make sense to make it more of a real security feature).

and neither of them really seems to say "let's add more code to other
pieces of the kernel to work around it" to me.

Linus