Re: Versioning file system

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 13:30:54 EST

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 09:16:30AM -0700, alan wrote:

> I just wish that people would learn from the mistakes of others. The
> MacOS is a prime example of why you do not want to use a forked
> filesystem, yet some people still seem to think it is a good idea.
> (Forked filesystems tend to be fragile and do not play well with
> non-forked filesystems.)

Jeremy Alison used to be the one who was always pestering me to add
Streams support into ext4, but recently he's admitted that I was right
that it was a Very Bad Idea.

As I mentioned in my Linux.conf.au presentation a year and a half ago,
the main use of Streams in Windows to date has been for system
crackers to hide trojan horse code and rootkits so that system
administrators couldn't find them. :-)

- Ted