Re: How to improve the quality of the kernel?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sun Jun 17 2007 - 12:27:57 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>> And we should be aware that reverting is only a workaround for the real
>>> problem which lies in our bug handling.
>
> And this is something I want to emphasize again.
>
> How can we make any progress with the real problem and not only the
> symptoms?

Perhaps make lists of

- bug reports which never lead to any debug activity
(no responsible person/team was found, or a seemingly person/team
did not start to debug the report)

- known regressions on release,

- regressions that became known after release,

- subsystems with notable backlogs of old bugs,

- other categories?

Select typical cases from each categories, analyze what went wrong in
these cases, and try to identify practicable countermeasures.

Another approach: Figure out areas where quality is exemplary and try
to draw conclusions for areas where quality is lacking.
--
Stefan Richter