From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 23:44:43 EST

On Jun 16, 2007, Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 23:29 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Tivo has two choices: either it gives
>> users the content they want to watch, or it goes out of business. Is
>> that legitimate enough of a reason to restrict the hardware?

> Can I submit that they could just rent the use of their machines?

I don't think this would escape the wording of section 6 in GPLv3dd4:

[...] User Product is transferred to the recipient in perpetuity or
for a fixed term (regardless of how the transaction is
characterized), [...]

and IMHO that's as it should be to defend the freedoms of the user.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/