Re: My kernel hangs again: Help with git please

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 20:40:36 EST

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Carlo Wood wrote:

> Therefore I have the following questions:
>
> 1) What git command will ASSURE that I get the LATEST
> kernel tree checked out?
>
> I tried this:
>
> hikaru:/usr/src/kernel/git/linux-2.6>git branch -l
> * bisect
> master
> origin
> hikaru:/usr/src/kernel/git/linux-2.6>git reset --hard HEAD

HEAD doesn't mean what you think it means. It's the latest revision on the
branch with the *. What you want is:

$ git checkout master

This will move the * to "master", which shouldn't have been affected by
any of this, and move your working directory to this point as well. At
that point, you should be able to build a working kernel.

What "git reset --hard HEAD" does is discard any differences to tracked
files between your working directory and the revision you're on. It's
relevant if you want to discard local changes, not otherwise.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*