From: alan
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 20:00:33 EST

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Al Viro wrote:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:13:54PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Jun 15, 2007, Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Obviously Linus feels that the spirit of the GPLv2 is exactly what
he wanted

spirit != letter. He liked the letter. He couldn't even tell spirit
from letter 2 or 3 days ago.

The spirit is the motivations behind the author of the license.
Anyone who thinks the motivations of RMS and the FSF are not defending
users' freedoms, as defined in the Free Software Definition, hasn't
been around for very long.

Aha. I.e. "similar in spirit" means simply "written according to
motivations of RMS and FSF". Which means, of course, that RMS and
FSF are the sole judges in that area. There is just one problem:
it's not vague enough to be stated openly in the license. Can't
scare the suckers away - that would reduce the user freedoms, right?

I always thought that the "Spirit of the GPL" runs around 180 proof and involves Laudanum.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct