Re: coding style

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 16:35:42 EST

On Jun 15 2007 13:21, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>> |
>> | from CodingStyle:
>> | Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8
>> | characters. There are heretic movements that try to make
>> | indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin
>> | to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.
>> |
>> | Linus (did he wrote that part?) and the heretics both can have their fun
>> | without impacting each other. If we wanted to force the user to have
>> | exactly 8 screen blanks, we should use spaces throughout.
>
>I did indeed write that.
>
>Tabs are 8 characters in the kernel coding style.

That clarification ("in the kernel coding style") should end up in
CodingStyle. (Since tabs *are not* just 8 everywhere, which current
CodingStyle seems to imply. But maybe I'm just to blunt.)

>And yes, I also wrote the other quote:
>
>> Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
>> the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
>> 80-character terminal screen. The answer to that is that if you need
>> more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should fix
>> your program.
>
>In the kernel, we try to split functions up, and perhaps use inline
>functions etc, and really really avoid deep indentation.

This rule is also very helpful outside the kernel.

Jan
--
(And IMHO, GNU code, e.g. coreutils, is the best counter-example.)