Re: coding style

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 15:31:57 EST

On Jun 15 2007 12:21, Kok, Auke wrote:
> Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>> [Jan Engelhardt - Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:10:49PM +0200]

>> | Hardly.
>> |
>> Jan, as I see from CodingStyle:
>>
>> "Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters."
>>
>> Actually it would be perfect to get strict rules also for math. and log.
>> operators being splitted on several lines:
>
> this doesn't say anything about alignment, which was his point :)

Well tabs should _never_ be assumed to be 8, and in this regard, as I
see it, CodingStyle has a bug. Tabs are there so that the user can set
their width according to _their_ taste, simply so that both sides,

from CodingStyle:
Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8
characters. There are heretic movements that try to make
indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin
to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.

Linus (did he wrote that part?) and the heretics both can have their fun
without impacting each other. If we wanted to force the user to have
exactly 8 screen blanks, we should use spaces throughout.

(And BTW, int pi = 3.141592 _is_ going to be 3 ;-) and floating point
is mostly an agreed no-go in kernel anyway, even if it's supported.)

Jan