Re: coding style

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 13:33:58 EST

[Jan Engelhardt - Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 11:16:08AM +0200]

| Cyrill wrote:
| >> err = foo(arg_a, arg_b, arg_c,
| >> arg_d);
| 1 23 4
|
| (note: monospace font needed)
|

| Dave wrote:
| > The Documentation/CodingStyle says:
| >
| > Outside of comments, documentation and except in Kconfig, spaces are never
| > used for indentation, and the above example is deliberately broken.
|
| Everything is right. The indent only goes from "1" to "2" [see above],
| "3" to "4" is called
|
| Cyrill wrote:
| >> [spaces only for] alignment
|
| Cyrill wrote:
| >> so which one is preferred for the kernel?
|
| err = very_long_function_name(lots_of_arguments,
| less,
| less,
| less,
| less,
| even_more_arguments,
| more_of_this,
| more_of_that,
| more,
| more,
| more);
|
| IMO, preferred:
|
| err = very_long_function_name(lots_of_arguments, less, less, less, less,
| even_more_arguments, more_of_this, more_of_that, more, more, more);
|
| YMMV.
|

| Jan
| --

Thanks to all of you for answering. Actually I was concerning about function
arguments' alignment (on separated lines) not about indentation. So as I see
it's a question of bent ;) And a simple rule exist - use tabs for indents
and spaces for alignment (when amount of spaces are < 8).

Cyrill