Re: Linux Servers comparison with Windows 2003 servers for Gaming

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 12:55:37 EST

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 11:35:22AM -0300, Renato S. Yamane wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:42:50 +0530
>>> How much better performance i will get?
>> How long is a piece of string. Given you don't give any hardware info,
>> any info on the applications run or on the network and capacity expected
>> its a bit hard to guess really.
>
> Detail: I think that is a good idea if hard-users (as kernel developers)
> had a local to host yours .config file, specifying hadware.
>
> E.g. I have a laptop Toshiba M45-S355 (with ReiserFS) and don't have
> experience to choose what I can remove from kernel (or compile as
> module/built-in).
>
> So, is a great idea use pre-config file to compile a new kernel with best
> options.
>
> My .config file (2.6.21.1) and lspci is attached.

CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=n (as set in your .config) should be the one setting
that is important for performance - enabling it offers debug options,
and some of them can significantly influence the performance.

Other options might influence the size and very slightly the speed of
the kernel, but not in any noticable way (except when you disable a
driver required for your hardware).

E.g. it even wouldn't matter if your kernel would be smaller by 1 MB and
faster by 1%.

The best solution for users like you is to use a distribution kernel and
the distribution autodetecting all hardware and automatically loading
all drivers you might need.

> Best regards,
> Renato S. Yamane

cu