From: Nicolas Mailhot
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 07:32:22 EST

Le Ven 15 juin 2007 12:53, Jesper Juhl a Ãcrit :
>> software", on
>> correct?

>> she
>>
>> >Okay. That means that if I ship Linux on a ROM chip I have to
>> somehow
>> make
>> >it so that the person purchasing the chip can modify the copy of
>> Linux
>> >installed on the chip *if* I want to follow both the spirit and the
>> letter
>> >of the GPLv2.
>>
>> The key word there is "can"
>>
>> You don't have to send the buyer the hardware design, replace the
>> ROM
>> with a flash, use a rom socket that allows easy switching etc.
>>
>> But you can not add measures to your hardware specifically designed
>> stop the user from modifying the GPL software part. Especially if
>> those measures are something like DRM that do not make the tinkering
>> just technically hard, but legally forbidden.
>>
>> As long as the restrictions result from technical choices not
>> targetted at forbidding changes you're ok.
>>
> That's simply not true.
>
> As long as you get a copy of the source code for the software that's
> running on the hardware it's OK. That's all the GPLv2 says.

You'll note I was answering to a message about what the GPL intended,
not the strict literal reading of the GPLv2 words.

And what the GPL authors intended is obvious from the fact it all
started with a printer driver and the need to change the software used
to control this particular hardware (not some mythical other device
without manufacturer restrictions

--
Nicolas Mailhot