From: David Greaves
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 06:19:18 EST

Daniel Hazelton wrote:
Now for a different PoV:
Do I think Tivoisation is bad for the community ?
Of course I think it is but your mileage may vary.

And I happen to agree with you. What I disagree with is taking steps to make "bad == illegal". I also have a problem with doing things that force my viewpoint on other people.

Surely it's more:
bad == go away and don't use future improvements to our software anymore please.
??

*If* you think it's bad (Linus doesn't as far as the kernel goes) then isn't it reasonable to exclude 'bad for the community' from the community?

This isn't retroactive - they can continue to use any V2 software they had, they wouldn't be able to use V3 developments.

That seems to me to be a very, very reasonable thing to do (and very much *not* bad == illegal IMHO)

David

PS well, I was just seeing if anyone had fixed my libata/md bug yet but this seemed more interesting.
PPS and Tejun has, I'm off...