From: Bernd Paysan
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 06:02:35 EST

On Friday 15 June 2007 07:24, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 08:20:19PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > So, you see, your statement above, about wanting to be able to use
> > other people's improvements, cannot be taken without qualification.
>
> No. Linus and other Linux kernels might *want* to take other people's
> improvements, but thanks to Richard Stallman's choices for GPLv3, they
> can *not* legally take other people's improvements without violating
> the GPLv3 license. That's not their fault, it's the fault of people
> who wrote the GPLv3 license, promulgated the GPLv3 license, and who is
> attempting to convince everyone that the GPLv3 license is the only
> valid license for Right Thinking FSF automatons to use.

Ah no, it's their fault. The GPLv2 always was clear that there will be some
future releases of the GPL, and that you should keep "upgrading" possible.

> There are plenty of things that I might *want* to do, that I am
> legally prohibited from doing. that doesn't change the fact that I
> might want to do it. The fact that GPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2
> is a tragedy, in the Greek sense.

The GPLv2 tries hard to be compatible with any further versions of the GPL
as possible, by allowing people to choose which license you take, and by
making sure that no man in the middle can restrict this choice. If people
deliberately select to use "GPLv2 only", who's to blame? RMS? Come on,
that's bullshit. It's *Linus Torvalds* who made Linux incompatible with
GPLv3, nobody else - ok, Al Viro with his tagged GPLv2 files (and honestly,
I think this is just another Linus misinterpretation about the GPL, and he
really didn't do it, because he couldn't).

This thread was fun, but I think all arguments have been repeated often
enough. I try to give up. I suggest everyone who has some assertions about
what the GPLv2 does read it through and find the place where it says so.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen GPL citations from the Linus-fanboy curve,
only suggestions that the GPL "does not say something" which it clearly
does.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/